Thu, 04/12/2018 - 14:30
Multiple choice standardized tests may be intimidating, but these techniques can help you excel when taking CPCU exams or other exams offered through The Institutes.
- Read the test directions carefully. Take your time through The Institutes testing tutorial. Going through the test tutorial does NOT count against your testing time, if you do this before starting the exam.
- It is okay to go through the test multiple times, answering easiest questions 1st, more difficult questions on the 2nd go through and the most difficult questions during a 3rd pass through the test. The Institutes allow you to mark questions to return to later. Use this to help you run through the test more efficiently.
- Be sure to answer all questions. Even if you have no idea what the correct answer is, put something in for each question before submitting the test. The Institutes does not have a wrong guess penalty. You either get credit or not. Watch your time to be sure you have the opportunity to put an answer in for each question.
- Avoid overthinking the problem. It is so easy to go back to an answer, think too long, and then change it… from the correct answer to an incorrect answer! The exception is if you suddenly realize your initial answer was wrong.
- Eliminate obvious ‘wrong’ choices. Even eliminating 1 wrong choice boosts your chances of getting the correct answer by at least 20%.
- Often, if you see two ‘opposite’ answers, one of them is the correct answer.
- If you are easily distracted by noise, bring earplugs. I do this for every exam so I am not listening to the other test takers and am focusing on my test.
- If there is time at the end, review questions and answers and be sure you have an answer for each question and that you interpreted the question correctly during your initial pass through.
Best of luck in your studies!